For cleaning professionals, effectiveness is the No. 1 priority. Can products with no hazard symbols or precautionary statements meet this requirement?
Hazard symbols for which safety hazards?
The mission of these charming symbols and precautionary statements is to alert users to product dangers.
A hazard symbol can warn of potential threats:
- to a user’s health : skin corrosion, eye and throat irritation, risk of allergies, poisoning and other lovely possibilities … left to the imagination.
- to the environment, particularly aquatic environments, from effluent which can end up in our rivers, seas and oceans.
Hazard symbols & effectiveness: the sacred union?
Since the new CLP regulation in June 2015, the rules for product ingredients have become more stringent, lowering the allowable percentage of risky substances. As a consequence, it is increasingly difficult to achieve optimal product effectiveness. Overnight, many products have had to choose between effectiveness and displaying precautionary statements and hazard symbols: most turned to the “dark side”.
Hazard Labels are for our protection. Great! But what does this do to the effectiveness of products that choose no hazard labels?
To many, hazardous ingredients , such as hydrochloric acid, soda and other “friendly” substances are still considered essential for impeccable hygiene…
Effectiveness without hazard
‘Naturally’ – and fortunately – there are great alternatives in plant-based and/or biotechnology products, which are safe for people and the planet.
And effectiveness? At HTS BIO, we’ve been specializing in environmental biotechnologies since 1988. For over 30 years we have been developing formulas, which are as effective as they are safe and eco-friendly.
Our formulas owe their effectiveness to:
- Biosurfactants: 100% natural and biodegradable ultra-effective surfactants with high wetting power, up to 500 times more effective than the petrochemical-based or plant-based surfactants.
- Microorganisms selected for their ability to digest organic matter.
Our products demonstrate that it is possible to combine effectiveness and ecological certification: many products in our line are ECOLABEL, NF ENVIRONNEMENT and ECOCERT certified. Products seeking ECOLABEL and NF ENVIRONNEMENT labels are subject to effectiveness testing.
0% hazard = 100% profit!
Products with no hazard symbols can be just as effective as products classified as “at risk”. But at what price?
According to popular belief, green products are more expensive than others. Wrong! They generate real savings:
- Most are highly concentrated (such as GLOBALWAY, AUTOCLEANWAY or PURALIWAY) meaning that less detergent, less water and less energy is needed
- Products with no hazard labeling do not require PPE (gloves, masks, etc.);
- Non-polluted effluents = no collecting tanks
- Zero overhead costs associated with transport, disposal of, and packaging of hazardous waste
- No hazard = better user health = fewer workplace accidents.
The savings show up on your bottom line – and that’s a plus for your finances!
Another important benefit: Products with no hazard labeling improve working conditions. And better working conditions equal greater productivity.
Welcome to Anthropocene!
” For the first time in 4.5 billion years, a single species has drastically changed the morphology, chemistry and biology of our planet ” said Nicolas Demorrand, french journalist). This species is us, Homo sapiens, “Modern” Man…
The term “Anthropocene” designates a new geological era – ours – which began when human activities began to have a significant global impact on Earth’s ecosystem.
However small, cleaning products are responsible for some of this impact. Today, choosing products with no hazard labeling is just an option. But tomorrow?