Located in Ghana, Ghana Bamboo Bikes make and sell very special bicycles. They are not made of steel, or aluminum, or titanium … not even of carbon.
Bamboo: a giant grass that has mind-blowing properties
Originally from South-East Asia and the islands of the Indian and Pacific oceans, bamboo is neither a tree nor a shrub. Like the banana tree, it’s a giant grass. There are more than 1000 species of bamboo. Bamboo holds the record of “fastest growing plant in the world”: some varieties can grow up to 1,60 m (62 inches) per day!
Light and ultra-strong, bamboo is truly exceptional. For thousands of years, man has used it for a multitude purposes. In the kitchen – it’s the favorite food of the giant panda! -, in phytotherapy it is treasured for its re-mineralizing and antioxidant properties. It is also used in paper and furniture production, musical instruments, fabric, and myriad other daily use items. It is also used in bridge construction, scaffolding, flooring…
There are no less than 1500 different uses for bamboo and Ghana Bamboo Bikes offers one more.
The bamboo bike: eco-friendly and sustainable
Light and resistant: these are the qualities that make bamboo the ideal material for bicycle frames.
With its stunning city bikes, road bikes and mountain bikes, Ghana Bamboo Bikes has all the hallmarks of successful sustainability:
- It uses local resources that are eco-friendly, abundant and highly renewable. “Resources” plural because bamboo is not the only locally available resource used in the construction of the bicycle frames: sisal and resin are also used for piece assembly’
- It combats deforestation
- It creates wealth
- It creates employment, offering a decent standard of living to at-risk populations, especially women and youth.
A virtuous cycle
With support from a government in its fight against deforestation, Ghana Bamboo Bikes uses bamboo grown on its own plantations.
The cherry on top? The waste produced from the manufacture of the bamboo bikes is used to produce bamboo coal.
What are the benefits?
- A more sustainable energy source
- Energy cost-savings compared to burning of wood or fuel,
- Encourages the education of young girls (who would normally be tasked with the collection of wood).
Ghana Bamboo Bikes needs you
The worldwide market for bicycles is growing rapidly. Bamboo Bikes’ order book is full. But its actual production capacity is not large enough to fill all these orders. Today several thousand bikes await construction!
In Ghana, financial establishments will not finance start-ups. However, Ghana Bamboo Bikes needs funding so it can invest, meet supply demands and continue to expand its sustainability initiatives.
Would you like to find out more, support Ghana Bamboo Bikes or purchase an ecological and sustainable bicycle?
Email : Bernice@ghanabamboobikes.org
Tel : +233244757172
Ghana Bamboo Bikes and its founder, Bernice, won several prizes:
- UN Habitat/Dubai International Best Practices Award 2014
- AFD 100 Innovations for Sustainable Development Award 2013
- UNFCCC Momentum For Change Lighthouse Activity Award 2013
- World Business and Development Award Winner 2012